The holiday season is of course the time to celebrate with the family, but there are several things to consider so that your four-legged friends can have a great time as well.
First, several Christmas decorations can present a potential danger. Most cats love to play in the Christmas tree. To make it safe, avoid ice cubes and anything that might contain a string. Cats are at a very high risk of eating it. The danger is that these objects can get stuck in the digestive system (stomach and intestines) and thus cause health problems. Emergency surgery could become necessary.
As for the dogs, many attack the fake snow placed under the tree and the danger is the same as for the
feline. You should also beware of ribbons and bows from gifts which can be just as dangerous.
Next, when choosing your decorations, go for edible plants that are safe for animals because nothing is more interesting than a new red plant that sits in the middle of the living room. Here are the most common Christmas plants that are toxic:
- Poinsettia – Lys
If in doubt, consult your veterinarian. They will be able to provide you with a complete list with photos of toxic plants and their medical signs.
Finally, dogs often follow the children and collect a bit of everything. It becomes obvious that if you do not want to end the evening in disaster, you must carefully choose the dishes offered to humans, because, whether wanted or not, they will eventually end up in the mouths of the animals. Here are the most common foods at Christmas that are harmful to your pet:
- Food rich in fat
- Raw meat
- Onions, garlic
- Coffee and chocolate
- Gum and candy containing xylitol
- Macadamia nuts
If you suspect that your pet has chewed or eaten something unusual, it is recommended that you call your veterinarian or go to an emergency center promptly with the ingested item in question.
Writer: Vetachroniques – Veterynary student at Montréal (Canada)